You may be thinking, "Johanna, I'm cool with the dill, but cabbage? Who eats that stuff"
This girl does, that's who.
Personally, I prefer red cabbage to green so that's something to note for next time I make this recipe.
I truly enjoy cruciferous veggies. Not only does cabbage have fiber (and we all know the benefits of fiber in our diets!) but it can also brag that it's :
- a good source of Vitamin C and manganese
- got antioxidants (good for fighting vs free radicals.)
- an anti-inflammatory (take that ibuprofen.)
- got nutrients that your digestive tract will appreciate
- team up to support heart health by providing resources to manage your cholesterol.
Should I go on?
CHICKPEA RICE SOUP WITH CABBAGE (VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE)
INGREDIENTS Olive oil 1 medium onion, thinly sliced 1 tsp salt 2 cloves of garlic, minced 1 tsp dried thyme Black pepper 1/2 c jasmine rice 1.5 c of carrots, sliced into 1/2" chunks 1 lb of green cabbage, thinly sliced 6 c of veggie broth 1 24oz can of chickpeas 3 tbl fresh dill, sliced
Add oil to preheated pot. Saute onions and add pinch of salt. Add garlic, thyme, pepper and saute for one more minute.
Add rice, carrots and cabbage. Then pour in broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, bring it down to a simmer, add chickpeas and cook for about 15 minutes, until rice is cooked through. Carrots should also be tender.
Stir in dill and taste for salt and pepper.