Just last week, I kicked off another round of my MORE momentum program : 28 days to learn all you need to know about veggies, grains and beans to keep you active. I've already been super impressed by the inspiration that is flowing from the group. No matter how well I eat, this program always inspires me to get back into the kitchen and try a new recipe when I hear what others are up to. With last week's topic being dark leafy green veggies, I switched up my morning smoothie routine a bit. No more berries + bananas in my smoothie! Bring on the greens.
One of the huge benefits of dark leafy greens is their detoxifying and cleansing qualities. Other benefits include:
- Boosting your intake of Vitamins A + K, essential for blood purification, improved circulation and good intestine functionality
- Improving your overall digestion.
- Dark green leafy vegetables are, calorie for calorie, probably the most concentrated source of nutrition of any food.
- They are a rich source of minerals (including iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium) and vitamins.
- They also provide a variety of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which protect our cells from damage and our eyes from age-related problems, among many other effects.
- Dark green leaves even contain small amounts of Omega-3 fats.
(Do you really need any more reasons to incorporate dark leafy green veggies into your diet?)
So I was ready to change things up and go green. It's hip to go green right?! I know it's silly, but I do always feel so clean after drinking a green smoothie. It makes me ready to face the day and be strong.
It's been awhile since my last green smoothie, so I decided to ease back into it with some familiar ingredients. Depending on the ingredients you choose, green smoothies can sometimes be a bit bitter, so choose wisely.
I kept mine simple and dee-lish. First went the banana into the blender. Then some coconut water. Here comes the handful of spinach greens, chia and hemp seeds and voila!
Now you tell me. What's YOUR favoritest green smoothie recipe? Share in the comments below.